Sunday, May 16, 2010

Garage Sale Weekend...

This weekend was the Woobury Lion's Club Garage Sales...I wish I would have taken pictures because you wouldn't believe the chaos of it all unless you saw it for yourself. The city-wide garage sale is a Friday-Saturday event and people come from Wisconsin, the Dakotas and Iowa to this thing...you literally can not drive down most streets on Friday (which is the main "sale" day), I'm sure our postal carriers LOVE trying to deliver the mail. This year Tom and I decided we would have a garage sale, we usually just take the day off work and do some picking at everyone else's garage sales but we had so much junk we needed to get rid of...I couldn't believe it when we had everything finally moved out to the garage. We didn't even have enough table space...but luckily it was a warm and sunny weekend so we put everything in boxes and set it in the driveway. We had things marked to sell and sell we did! The remaining items will be donated to Goodwill, Neighbors and Lupus.

Tom manned the fort while I snuck out to do a little picking myself. I carefully plotted out my route and managed to hit all the sales that touted "Antiques". There's always three or four churches that have big sales too, those are the sales I love the most, I always find great treasures...like this flower basket for $3.00 (it's huge!), I belive this is what they put flowers in for funerals back in the day. I've seen many old photos with these baskets placed on graves.
Here's just about 1/3 of my haul...and yes, that's a mattress in the background. We were trying to sell our old queen bed but didn't, I'm not too disappointed though because the bed is the only big ticket item that didn't sell...so back down the basement it goes. Gobs of old ric rac - most of it still sealed in it's original packaging... I got gobs of pretty vintage buttons too but didn't photograph those because I don't want Jessica to see them...

Most of what I'm buying is for re-sale in my Alice and Elsie booth but I really don't think I can part with this pretty blue daisy plate...

...or this "NEST" block!

All these bits and baubles were in a vintage Christmas card box for $1.00...do I know any little girl who's name starts with an "M" that loves vintage brooches??? why yes, I think I do (Madison).

These little wooden musical anges were too adorable to pass up, not sure what I'll do with them but I'm sure I'll think of something!
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Jessica Rodarte said...

Great finds! Those angels are so sweet!
*Sigh* I dream about buttons, you know? :)