Thursday, July 31, 2014

Natural Products: Shampoo/Conditioner

So about two months ago we started going "clean"...as I like to call it.

No chemicals in household products...no chemicals in beauty products.  I went hardcore...even got rid of the Teflon coated pans!

We made the switch gradually...as we ran out of things we replaced them with all natural, chemical free, organic products.  I did a lot of research on different products hoping I would choose ones that we liked and that worked as well as the chemical-filled products.  We've had to do a little tweaking, like with laundry detergent, but for the most part it was an easy switch.

Shampoo and conditioner; however, is proving to be a tough one.

I'm currently using Hugo Naturals - Vanilla and Sweet Orange Volumizing shampoo and conditioner.  I ordered from iHerbs.com and they were roughly $8.50 for each 12 fl oz size.

 My hair tends to be a tangled mess after showering so conditioner is an absolute MUST.  I don't shampoo regularly,  my typical daily routine consists of scrubbing all the dirt/product out of my hair with water then using conditioner.  I might shampoo twice a week, shampoo is just so bad for your hair, so a good conditioner is what I'm really searching for.

I researched what happens to your hair when you go chemical free and it can be a tough go at first.  There are some homemade "treatments" you can use to strip the silicone and toxin-garbage from your locks quickly and forgo that rough and unruly period of hair detox.  Since I color my hair (one chemical thing I will NEVER give up) and am not due for a touch-up for weeks, my colorist said NOT to use any of the baking soda treatments because it will also strip the color.  So I had to settle for the weeks of detox...and let's just say I've been wearing my hair up almost every day for two weeks.

It's now week three and Hugo just isn't doing the trick.  The shampoo is good...nice lather, pleasant light scent and the hubby likes it, but the conditioner on the other hand...I may as well not be using any....my hair is so snarly and I end up pulling out so much trying to get the comb through it that I may be bald in another week.  On a good note, the conditioner is nice and creamy and smells amazing.

A friend recommended Melaleuca...so I ordered these today and I can't wait until they arrive.  They were a little pricier than Hugo coming in around $15.50 for each bottle (12 fl oz size) but, if the conditioner works, it'll be worth it.

Stay tuned...




1 comment:

Ines Grunwald said...

I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit. Shampoo Dispenser