Saturday, April 6, 2013

Mushroom Box Tutorial


Last night was our monthly Art Group, Val taught us how to make fun encaustic collages.  I don't collage very often but since my supplies were still out from last night, I decided to do something with a few wood boxes I had laying around.  I originally intended to use them for a different project but they didnt quite fit what I needed.  I'm my own worst critic, as most of us are,  but I actually like the finished product so thought I'd share with you how to make your own.

1.  Draw lines around the bottom of your box as a guide for the paint.  You can use a paper mache box or a thin wood box like I used (it's either balsam or beachwood...don't remember the technical name).  You can find these at any craft supply store like JoAnns, Michaels or Hobby Lobby.
2.  Paint inside the lines with watercolor paint but don't worry about staying perfectly inside the lines, the messier the better.  Also paint the inside of the box in addition to the outside of the lid with acrylic paints (although you could use watercolors as well)
3.  Trace the outline of the lid on the paper you choose to use for the top of the lid.  I used an old ledger page.  Cut just inside the line for a nice, smooth fit.
4.  Cut out your illustration...you can use anything you like, mushrooms, birds, flowers, etc.
5.  Mod Podge your ledger paper to the top of the lid first.  I've found that applying Mod Podge to just the box lid works best...sometimes applying it to both the lid and the paper creates air bubbles and it doesn't look as nice.  Smooth it down with your fingers nice and tight with your fingers.  Next, apply Mod Podge to your illustration and adhere it to the lid.  Now is the time to add any other embellishments you want.  I added dennison labels to both boxes and little red painted dots around one of the boxes.  When everything has been "glued" on and all painted embellishments have dried completely, put a final layer of Mod Podge over the entire lid.  
6.  After the final layer of Mod Podge has completely, apply a layer of "One Step Crackle" finish to the top of lid, sides of lid, and sides of box.  I use DecoArt found at Michaels.  You can skip this step if you can't find one step crackle.  After the crackle coat dries, rub brown acrylic paint into the cracks with a damp paper towel to give it an aged look.
7.  Finally, tie a bow around the lid.  I used a strip of old cheese cloth to give it a shabby, worn look.
8.  Sit back and admire you work!
ED:  If you're going to make your own mushroom boxes, make sure you don't copy the way in which I spelled Specimen...it's 'EN', not 'AN' as I have shown in the photos...lucky for me I was able to change it without too much hassle! 

1 comment:

Jessica Rodarte said...

I'm going to have to try it now. I love yours!