Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Auctions and Ephemera...

I promised my Woodbury, MN, collage artist friend, Val, that I would take her to one of my favorite junking spots in Minneapolis. It's called Hunt & Gather and it's a perfect place to find all sorts of vintage ephemera...but you have to really be in a mood to PICK because they have two floors worth of treasures and the shop is just busting at the seams! Val is originally from Virginia (and lived in Ireland before that) so she's not very familiar with Minnesota. I gladly offered to show her all my favorite picking spots. Val found gobs more goodies than I did...here's what I ended up bringing home...
I hope my niece Madison isn't reading this...these Hippo cards are for her (she collects hippo junk)...

And this crusty old thing is a "Collar Box"...I guess back in the day people had enough "collars" to warrant a special box just to hold them all????
Tom and I also attended our first auction last night and it was quite an experience. They had 5 vintage victorian plant stands that I very badly wanted (ok...I really only wanted one but I had 5 chances to place a winning bid), they had numerous vintage photo albums full of cabinet and tin type photos, a metal victorian chaise lounge, wonderful wooden cubbies with drawers and wainscotting...I was in heaven but a little nervous about doing the whole auction thing correctly. Well, my first item that I wanted to bid on was an old photo album...my "limit" was $40...stupid me...the bidding STARTED at $125...what!? Needless to say, I never even got to raise my number ONCE to place a bid because, as luck would have it, everyone else there wanted the exact same things as I did...didn't get one darn thing. Of course Tom was the ONLY ONE to bid on the ONE thing he wanted. Even though I came home empty handed I'm hooked on auctions...I just hope I have better luck next Monday!

No comments: