Monday, September 28, 2009

Obsessed!

Lately I haven't felt much like crafting (my store can attest to that)...I've been spending all my free time junking and re-decorating the house. Every Saturday morning for the past few weekends we've gotten up at the crack of dawn to treasure hunt at various estate sales and the occasional garage sale that boasts antiques. This Saturday I hit the jackpot (at least in my opinion I hit the jackpot)...first we drove over to Wisconsin to an estate sale in an old farmhouse that was supposed to be busting at the seams with loot. We got lost (a few times) trying to find it...but when we finally arrived we were delighted to find everything was already half off the marked price. Here is what we (ok...I) found:
A tattered old lampshade for $.50, I've already got plans for it...a whole bag of old wooden and plastic clothespins, valentines, playing cards, an old tattered pincushion, an old curtain panel for $.50, an old box of puzzles, an old photo holder and two old metal compacts.
(I really need work on my photography skills!). The boys had plans to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs so I headed to the second estate sale alone. I saw a vintage Christmas angel and immediately fell in love with her...she was marked $12 but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much. I left without purchasing anything although there were dozens of things I really wanted. I thought about that angel all day kicking myself for not buying her...I knew If I went back on Sunday she'd be gone but since everything would be half off I decided to go back. I got there right when they opened (along with about 20 other people) and the angel was right where I left her, I had planned on spending the $6 but found that the price had changed $12 to $2 (or did I misread it the day before?) so she was only $1. What a bargain...and her candle still lights up! Do you think it would be wrong to display her all year round?
Here's the other loot I bought for half off as well...I seem to have a Christmas theme going...
(again, my photography is crappy at best)
To top off my lucky weekend I headed to Goodwill to see what they had for the half off Sunday/Monday tag sale and found this absolutely ADORABLE vintage writing desk...I sat there staring at it, opening the top drawer, opening the bottom drawer, opening the little screened doors, back and forth, back and forth, trying to decide if I wanted to spend the money on it (although it was dirt cheap but hey, I didn't even want to spend $12 on that vintage angel), called Tom to get his opinion (he was no help)...I knew I had to make a quick decision because two other vultures were circling waiting for me to walk away so they could swoop in...so I grabbed the price tag off and ran to the check-out. I'm so glad I decided to get it! I'm not quite sure what else I'm going to add to it but everytime I walk past it I do a little happy dance.

Unfortunately I won't be doing any treasure hunting next Saturday, I'll be running the Boston Scientific 5K. Maybe I'll have time to check out some sales after the race???

No comments: